Photobucket

Monday, January 18, 2010

Attic Treasures, part I

My parents lived in Germany while my dad was in the Air Force in the 60’s.  Almost every weekend, they took a weekend jaunt to somewhere in Europe.  This was during the time of  Frommer’s popular travel guide, Europe on $5 a Day.  It was the first travel guide written to show Americans how to afford to travel in Europe. Again, since the prices were so affordable back then (Authentic Rolex watches $100!!!!), my parents brought back some really neat souvenirs.

Recently while visiting my parents, I decided to take a look in the attic and I’ll spread these finds over several parts.

Part I- Marble Lamps

IMG_0172

My parents purchased the set of 2 at a marble factory across the street from the Leaning Tower of Pisa.  These are the real deal.  My dad wired them and I added a simple shade I already had.  I want to get silk shades, but these will have work for now.

Look at the veining.  Love this.

IMG_0179

A classic shape that is timeless.

Thanks MOM and DAD!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've never seen a marble lamp before. Now I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!! And wow! What a story of where they came from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin they are gorgeous! The marble base is so classic and beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lamp almost just like that! My story is not nearly as good as yours though. Found it at the flea market and the hubs rewired it for me. Haven't found the perfect shade for mine yet, either. Where do you have it in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! You will love these treasures even more because they have a great story behind them! Can't wait to see your other finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful lamps...I love them!!! You are one lucky girl!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those lamps are beautiful! How great to shop in parent's attic. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robyn,
    These are treasures, you're one lucky lady. Some people have a thing for shoes, but I have a thing for lamps! I lived overseas also, in Dubai. I explored Europe when I went back and forth. Germany would have been a wonderful place to live. I'm sure you have many wonderful memories of that time. Thanks for stopping by and saying hi on my blog. I look forward to getting to know you and following along.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tee,

    The lamps currently are in our bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cathy,

    Actually, I wasn't even born yet when my parents lived in Germany. I can only experience it through their stories and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful lamps...LOVE that look! I found you over at KENDALL's place...that is one SWEET girl! I'm lovin what I see here at your place...sooooo...I think I will follow along with you!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Robyn :)

    Those lamps are gorgeous! Aren't parents the best?!

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for commenting on my Blog. Otherwise, I may never have found yours! I really like your style. I cant wait to see what you do with the wall over your computer desk. (My vote is for the shelving)

    ReplyDelete
  14. G'Day~Great lamps and how awesome they were your parents and came with a history.They are very classic, a great lamp to hang on to.

    Just found your blog and thought I would visit.Stop by my blog and say Hello! I will be hosting a giveaway soon. ~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete